Saturday, January 23, 2010

Closer Than I Thought

Yesterday's post said that I planned on staying in Ontario, OR tonight, and that I'd be just 4.5 ours away. Well, I read things wrong - I'm only 3.5 hours from Walla Walla! I also screwed up on the time zone change. I thought I'd be in the Pacific Time Zone now, but since Ontario is so close to Boise, the time zone line takes a jog around Ontario. So, if I leave here around 9:00 in the morning, I'll get into Walla Walla before Noon! I'm almost there.

The drive today was as different from yesterday as you could imagine. Yesterday was across the Midwestern plains, and driven in a warm fog. Today, I could tell things were going to be different the minute I stuck my head outside. There was some blue sky showing, with lots of clouds, and very stiff winds. As I headed west I started driving west from Cheyenne, I started climbing, and climbing, and climbing. By the time I went through the pass east of Laramie, I was at 8640 feet. The mountains and the winds kept up all the way across Wyoming. I figure the winds were close to 30 miles per hour.

When I hit Utah the clouds got thicker and lower, and the short stretch from the border to Odgen was magnificent! Unfortunately, as I got north of the city, I ran into the first of two snow squalls. They didn't slow me down much, but they did make things pretty darn messy, and the clouds were so darn low I couldn't really see the mountains. By the time things cleared up, I was into Idaho where the snow was better than 2 feet deep and things were getting flat (and dark).

Teo was a great traveler again today, just chilling in the back seat. When I got into Ontario, I ordered a pizza. Even a medium pizza was more than I could eat alone. So, I wondered if Teo would like pizza? Well, for reference, the fastest I've ever seen anyone eat pizza was my good friend, Cornelius Powell (Corn). Teo is faster! He slammed that piece of Pepperoni Pizza down in no time flat.

More tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be blogging about the upcoming Super Bowl between the Colts and Vikings.

No comments: